We Are Hiring!
Job Title: Government Affairs Specialist
Reports To: President & CEO
The Government Affairs specialist assists with coordinating the direction of the legislative public policy activities related to issue research, policy development, and legislative advocacy at the local, state (Washington and Idaho) and federal levels as well as coordination of Legislative Tours.
Wage: $35,000/year + Benefits
Benefits: Paid Vacations, Paid Sick Leave, Medical & Dental
Submission Requirements: Email or mail resume, letter of interest, and three professional references to Kristin Kemak, email@example.com or 825 6th Street, Clarkston, WA 99403. No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
Submission Deadline: 5:00 PM March 7, 2019
Bachelor's degree. This position requires an individual with a valid driver's license. Ability to work varying hours including some evening, early morning, and weekends when necessary. Some travel is required.
Government Affairs Specialist is expected to have the following personal characteristics and core qualifications:
- High energy level, comfortable performing multifaceted projects in conjunction with day-to-day activities.
- Superior interpersonal Ability to get along with diverse personalities, tactful, mature, and flexible.
- Must have the ability to work with senior company representatives; maintain strict confidentiality in business dealings; and present a positive image to members and the public.
- Superior reasoning abilities. Sound judgement.
- Superior communication skills.
- Resourceful and well organized.
- Participative management style-advocate of team concept.
- Ability to establish credibility and be decisive-and be able to recognize and support the Chamber's preferences and priorities.
- Results and people oriented, ability to balance other business considerations. Service oriented, and assertive/persuasive.
- Must be able to adjust to constantly changing circumstances and priorities and be able to re- adjust priorities quickly.
- Must be able to put chamber political decisions and views ahead of personal political beliefs while representing the chamber.
This core qualification encompasses the ability to develop and implement an organizational vision that integrates key goals, priorities, values, and other factors. This includes the ability to balance change and continuity; to continually strive to improve customer service and program performance within the basic framework; to create a work environment that encourages creative thinking; and to maintain focus, intensity and persistence, even under adversity.
This core qualification stresses accountability and continuous improvement. It includes the ability to make timely and effective decisions and produce results through strategic planning and the implementation and evaluation of programs and policies.
This core qualification involves the ability to acquire and administer human, financial, material, and information resources in a manner that instills public trust and accomplishes the Chamber's mission, and the ability to use new technology to enhance decision making.
This core qualification involves the ability to explain, advocate, and express facts and ideas in a convincing manner and to negotiate with individuals and groups internally and externally. It also involves the ability to develop an expansive professional network with other organizations and to identify the internal and external politics that impact the work of the organization.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations, political issues, potential and current legislation, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, chamber committees, and/or boards of directors.
- Knowledge of basic accounting concepts, techniques and principles.
- Ability to apply knowledge of accounting and finance.
- Skill in analyzing and interpreting financial data
- Ability to understand and analyze business proposals and expectations and coordinate the development of proposals to meet these expectations
- Ability to execute a business development strategy
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Ability to solve practical and complex problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
Essential Job Functions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be qualified to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be available, upon request, to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Liaison between the Government Affairs Committees (GAC) Chair and the Chamber office, keeping both informed of activities and issues.
- Take notes at the GAC meetings and write them up for monthly newsletter.
- Responsible for polling membership to learn their top issues/needs.
- Develop survey of important issues for the Chamber and contact the local political candidates in Idaho and Washington to learn their position on issues.
- Monitor the two states legislative websites and blogs during the legislative session to stay informed.
- Responsible for management and coordination of the Government Affairs and Advocacy committees
- Responsible for coordination and development of policy statements and legislative agenda approved by the Chamber Board of Directors, assuring that adequate research and discussion has been conducted.
- Responsible for interaction with state legislators and federal, state and local elected officials.
- Responsible for the organization's implementation of grassroots communication and legislative advocacy at key times during the legislative session.
- Responsible for the development and dissemination of materials supporting the policy positions of the organization to membership, the legislature, and community.
- Responsible for representation on other organization's legislative related committees and issue orientated coalitions.
- Responsible for the planning, fundraising/sponsorships, and implementation of specific legislative-related events, such as the North Idaho Legislative Tour, Eastern Washington Legislative Tour, Legislative Forums, Government Affairs Committee Meetings, Legislative Welcome Back and Send-Off luncheons.
- Assist with the organization's involvement with the Idaho Chamber Alliance.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and sit. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.